Case study · Relocating to the Dallas-Fort Worth metro
Two homes, two states, one move: how we lined up a family’s relocation to DFW.
A family relocating from Arkansas for a job transfer needed to sell their home there and buy in DFW, near family in Allen, without carrying two mortgages. I referred them to an agent in Arkansas, coordinated both transactions, and kept their McKinney purchase on track when their first Arkansas buyer backed out. They bought a McKinney home for $710,000, down from a $725,000 list price, closed on September 25, 2026, and sold in Arkansas a few days later.

The situation
Who was this family, and why were they moving to DFW?
They were a family in Arkansas relocating for a job transfer, and they wanted to live near family in Allen. They came to me as a referral from past clients of mine.
They had planned to buy later. But the market had softened, and they decided it made more sense to buy now, while sellers were more willing to negotiate.
The specific school assignment for their next home also mattered to them, so we confirmed it directly with the district for any home they were serious about.
What did they need from this move?
They needed to sell in Arkansas and buy in DFW in a way that did not leave them carrying two mortgages. Their lender confirmed they could qualify to buy without selling first. But buying first would have tied up cash they wanted for their down payment, and they had no way of knowing how long the Arkansas home would take to sell.
So the goal was simple to say and harder to do: line up both closings as closely as possible.
Why was this move harder than a typical purchase?
There were two transactions in two states, two sets of agents, and a family making it all happen from several hours away. Each side depended on the other. If the Arkansas sale slipped, the DFW purchase was exposed.
They also hoped to be settled before the school year started, which put pressure on the search from day one.
The search
Which areas did they consider, and how did we narrow the search?
We focused on Allen, Plano, McKinney, and Melissa, all within reach of their family in Allen. Before they ever got in the car, I did virtual tours and research so that every home on their list was a real option, not a maybe.
We planned two weekend trips. They toured about 10 homes on the first trip and 7 on the second. They did not find the one they loved until just after school started, and they decided moving then was better than waiting until much later in the year.
Why did they choose a smaller home over the bigger ones they considered?
They chose it because it cost about $100,000 less than the other two homes they were seriously considering. One was a home they loved in an area they did not like as much. The other came on the market mid-search, and they made a last-minute trip to DFW to see it. We made an offer on that one, but the seller declined, and it was more than they wanted to pay anyway.
Both homes were within what they could qualify for, and I cautioned them about buying at the top of their budget. In Texas, homes are reappraised every year, and property taxes and homeowners insurance can both change after you buy. A payment that feels fine on day one can feel very different a few years in.
The McKinney home was smaller and its pool was not as nice, but it had been nicely renovated. They plan to put some of the savings toward renovating the pool.
The offer
How did we structure the offer on the McKinney home?
I waited until their Arkansas home was under contract, then wrote a contingent offer on the McKinney home. I made it clear to the listing agent that the Arkansas buyer would soon be past their inspection period.
The McKinney home had been on the market a while. It was originally listed at $789,000 and had already been reduced to $725,000 before we made our offer. The sellers had a firm reason to move, so I knew there was room to negotiate. The home was in good condition overall, and the pool needed cosmetic resurfacing, with no cracks. We agreed on $710,000.
What happened when the Arkansas buyer backed out?
The first Arkansas buyer got cold feet and backed out after we were already under contract in McKinney. Two days later, the Arkansas agent had a new buyer.
During those two days, I let the McKinney listing agent know what was happening and assured her it would not affect our transaction. That was true: my clients had already confirmed they could qualify without the sale, and they were prepared to close either way. We were also confident the Arkansas home would sell again quickly, and it did.
Once they were confident the new Arkansas buyer would close, my clients waived the sale contingency.
Closing and the result
How did we handle closing, the leasebacks, and the move?
The new Arkansas buyer pushed that closing back a few days, but we kept the McKinney closing date the same. The McKinney purchase closed on September 25, and the Arkansas sale closed a few days later.
I coordinated a leaseback on both ends. In Arkansas, my clients stayed in their home for one week after it sold, so they had their sale proceeds in hand to pay for the move. In McKinney, the sellers stayed in the home for two weeks after closing to pack up.
We also planned the utility transfers around the calendar. During this transaction, the City of McKinney office that handles water service was not open on Fridays, so we scheduled the water shutoff and start-up around that.
What was the final result?
The family bought their McKinney home for $710,000, $15,000 below the list price at the time of our offer, and closed on September 25, 2026. Their Arkansas home sold a few days later. Both leasebacks gave everyone time to move without rushing, and the family moved to DFW that fall instead of waiting until much later in the year.
She was a great sounding board… She really cares about your wants and needs, offers excellent suggestions and her negotiating skills are top notch… would recommend Amy to anyone, especially anyone relocating.
Relocation buyers, Google review
Why it worked
Why did the plan hold when the first Arkansas buyer backed out?
It held because I vet the departure home before I write a contingent offer, not after. Before we offered in McKinney, I looked at:
- Photos of the Arkansas home.
- Comps showing it was priced correctly and competitively.
- How competent and communicative the Arkansas listing agent was, and how confident they were about getting it under contract.
That is why we could be confident the home would sell again quickly when the first buyer walked away, and it did, two days later. I also build rapport with the agents on both sides from the start, so when the news came, the McKinney listing agent heard it from me first and the transaction stayed on track.
What would I tell another family in the same situation?
Start with why you are moving and any firm dates you are working against. Then be realistic about what you can expect from the sale of your current home, compared with the price point and location you hope to buy in. Once those three things are clear, we can choose the right order for selling and buying instead of guessing.
If you are relocating to DFW with a home to sell, read how I sequence buying and selling at the same time, or start with my guide for families relocating to DFW.
Written by Amy Spock, Realtor with SERHANT. I help luxury buyers and sellers in Southlake, Colleyville, and Keller, and families relocating anywhere in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro.
Questions I hear most
Frequently asked questions.
Can I make a contingent offer when I am relocating from another state?
Yes. A contingent offer is strongest when your current home is already under contract and the buyer is close to being past their inspection period. The seller sees a real timeline, not a hope.
What happens if the buyer for my current home backs out?
It depends on how your offer is written and whether you can qualify without the sale. In this case my clients could, so the purchase stayed on track while their Arkansas agent found a new buyer two days later. Your lender is the one who confirms whether you can close without selling.
What is a leaseback, and why use one on both ends?
A leaseback lets a seller stay in a home for an agreed period after closing. Here, my clients stayed in their Arkansas home for a week so they had their sale proceeds before moving, and the McKinney sellers stayed two weeks to pack.
Should I buy at the top of what I qualify for?
I usually advise against it. Property taxes and homeowners insurance can change after you buy, so leaving room in your budget protects you later.
Do I need a separate agent in the state I am leaving?
Yes, for the sale. I referred these clients to an agent I trust in Arkansas and coordinated timing with that agent so both transactions lined up.
Begin with a conversation.
Twenty minutes. No pitch. Tell me where you are moving from, what you need to sell, and your timeline, and you will leave with a clear picture of which sequence fits.

